Proper care and maintenance is key to the longevity of your handcrafted Merkelig Co. knife. Here are some instructions to keep your knife in excellent shape.
- Hand-wash (or at least rinse & wipe dry) the blade of your knife after and between uses. Carbon has a tendency to react with acidic foods (especially fruits & proteins). Keeping your knife clean helps lower the reaction time.
- DO NOT allow food and excess moisture to remain on your blade as this will cause your knife to corrode and begin to rust.
- NEVER put your knife through the dishwasher or allow it to rest or soak in any water. This is extremely hard on all of the materials in your knife.
- ALWAYS make sure your knife is completely dry before storing it. I also suggest applying a coat of your preferred blade/handle protectant before storing. I suggest Axe Wax.
Patina: Over time and use your Carbon Steel knife will develop a thin coating, called a patina, on the blade, which is caused by the reaction between the metal, the foods you are cutting and the surrounding air. Each patina is unique and is a good thing as it will help protect your knife from unnecessary corrosion.
Handle Wood: Most of the handle wood I use is stabilized, however if your knife has an unstabilized wood (such as Ebony or Cocobolo) it is good practice to keep it well-oiled to prevent dryness or cracking. I recommend Tried & True Danish Oil or Camellia Oil as well as Axe Wax to help seal it.
Storage: To protect your knife’s edge and keep it sharper longer, I recommend storing your knife in a universal knife block, on a magnetic bar or keeping it in a plastic edge guard.
Maintenance: Take care of your knife and it will take care of you! Routine maintenance is essential to keeping your knife in prime condition.
- NEVER store your knife in the leather sheath, the leather will stretch over time with the knife in it and the retention characteristics will fade.
- DON'T let your leather get wet. It will retain moisture and cause carbon steel to rust as well as effect the retention.
- ALWAYS make sure your leather is conditioned and protected. I recommend Axe Wax for for on the fly sealing and protecting your leather.
Storage: Store dry and hydrated in a cool place to ensure the longevity of the leather. A leather sheath will last a lifetime if you take care of it.